Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Occupy Wall Street (2)


Yesterday I discovered the We are the 99 Percent Tumblr blog site. It contains short stories of folks who say, as the girl above does, "I am the 99%". New stories are put up everyday, all the time. Tumblr is a unique blogging platform where you can send your post in from any mobile platform, and it is posted directly to the website, without blog manager intervention. Once the invitation went out for folks to share their stories on nthe Tumblr site, apparently, the stories flooded in. And they are still coming. Moving. Deeply touching. Here are a few more from today's postings:










I found this site last night. And I simply could not get their stories out of my head. Mike Konczal at Rortybomb, a great economics site, where I found the Tumblr link, put the entire site through a data analysis program, and came up with important and interesting information about the posters and their messages. First, age distribution:


And now, message content:



These folks are worried about debt loads, especially student debt; family; unemployment and healthcare. Are these self-descriptions whiny complaints posted by folks who just aren't trying hard enough? My answer is a resounding NO! But you should go to the Tumblr site and read, then judge for yourself.

Theses folks are frightened, and given the problems presented, quite matter of factly, it seems to me, their fear is reasonable. They are discouraged and frustrated. Angry? Sometimes, but not invariably. When we read these postings we are hearing honest, deeply felt cris de coeurs from the heart of America.

Will we pay attention? Will we heed their call? I am an unfailing optimist, but over time, I believe we will.

I think this movement may well have legs, in answer to my question in the last post. If so, this could profoundly shape the political discussion in the coming campaign.







No comments:

Post a Comment