Thursday, December 22, 2011

Behold, The Light!

Georges de la Tour, The Newborn


The Light that will not be put out. What an amazing promise! When we believe the Light is truly inextinguishable, our next question is "Do I belong to the Light? Am I somehow connected to the Light, so that, even if the Light stays on, I know I won't be disconnected from its Power?" Does Life have Purpose, and therefore Hope? Do I Belong? Is it all going to be OK? These are the perennial questions. Every faith tradition carries its own answers. But we need to do more than repeat the words and assurances of our personal faith tradition. We must know in our gut that this is so, and we can then repeat after St. Julien of Norwich:

          "All things will be well. And all manner of things will be well."

No comments:

Post a Comment